Article By Gary E Smith
Walking has numerous health benefits and is a low-impact exercise. Walking is one of the most natural forms of exercise. Walking is a low-impact gentle exercise that can lead you into a higher level of fitness and health. Here are more reasons why walking is good for you, and how to get started with a walking program.
Benefits of walking: Walking just like any other exercise, can help you achieve a number of important health benefits. Here are some of the ways walking can help you:
- Walking can help lower your blood pressure
- Walking reduces your risk of managed type two diabetes
- Walking helps maintain weight loss
- Walking can improve your mood
- Walking can help you stay strong and fit
- Walking can help you lower your (LDL) cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol)
- Walking and help you raise your (HDL) cholesterol (the “good” cholesterol)
Things to do to help avoid injury: Take time to avoid unnecessary injuries, such as muscle pain and blisters on your feet.
Warming up Spend about 5 minutes walking slowly to warm up your muscles. You can walk in place if you want increase your pase until you feel warm. After warming up it is important to stretch your muscles before walking. Include the calf muscle, quadriceps, hamstring and side stretch.
As you start walking it is also important to focus on the basics.
· Start slow and easy. If you are an experienced walker, continue doing what you have been doing. If you are not used to walking or have been inactive entirely, it is best to star slow and easy. In the beginning walk only as fast as far as you feel comfortable with. It does not matter if you can only walk for a few minutes let that be a baseline for your walking program. As an example in the beginning you may only walk 5 to 10 minutes and slowly build up to 15 minutes twice a week. After you become comfortable with this routine you can gradually work your way up to 30 to 60 minutes of walking on a daily basis.
· Monitor the intensity of your workout. As you’re walking it is important you monitor your workout by checking your heart rate. Knowing your heart rate allows you to increasing intensity to maximize your workout or slowdown to avoid overdoing it. To find out if you’re exercising within the range of your target heart rate. Stop walking for a few moments and check your pulse rate manually at your wrist or at your neck. The other option is to wear an electronic device that displays your heart rate.
· Use proper posture while walking. Walking is a great exercise because it’s so simple to do but using the correct posture and movement is essential.
Stay motivated for success, track your progress and set goals. Walking even only a modest amount provides a tremendous health benefit. One of the best ways to achieve the maximum benefit of walking is to work your way up to 30 to 60 minutes a day within your target heart rate zone. To achieve the benefits of walking it is best to set goals, track your progress and stay motivated. Do not forget to set realistic goals for yourself. If in the beginning if your goal is 2 hours a day 365 days a year, you are most probably setting yourself up for failure. Remember to set goals that are realistic for yourself such as 30 minutes a day five days a week. Keep in mind the hardest part is just getting started. Just do it. Start slowly and build up.
Stay motivated One of the hardest parts of starting any exercise routine is staying motivated. Remember the health benefits of exercise and that over time you are likely to feel invigorated and more motivated.
· Vary your routine. Plan several different walking routes for variety. If you’re walking alone be sure to tell someone which route you’re taking.
· Make it fun. If you do not like walking alone, invite your spouse, partner, friend or neighbor to join you. You may also purchase a treadmill or join a health club.
Set realistic goals you’ll be glad you started. Taking the first step toward physical fitness can be the most difficult step to take. Just remember with every step that you take toward your goal is one step closer to better health.
Article By Ian G Henderson
Walking does help to keep you fit and you may also lose weight in the progress. Walking doesn’t cost anything you have no costly machines to buy; you have the tool so use them it’s the healthy way to do it.
If you can walk to work not always possible but if you can then go to it. Start out trying it for a couple of days first to see how your body handles the change in your lifestyle. Add a day say every two weeks as this will allow your body to adjust to the changes then build it up until you’re walking every day. If you can’t walk to work then try walking in the evening. Start yourself with a reasonable distance and follow the same steps “pardon the pun” as above.
What about also trying instead of taking the lift at work use the stairs try a flight at first to see how comfortable you are and then use the lift for the rest of the journey. Add a flight say every two weeks or see how your body reacts; only you can be the judge of that. You will be amazed at the difference it will make to your lifestyle. It will get your blood pumping around the body and the oxygen flowing that will help joint and muscle stiffening from your previous lifestyle of no exercise.
Wear comfortable shoes / trainers, drink plenty of water I am sure you will feel the benefits of walking exercise working for you in a short space of time.
Once you feel good about walking why not try to organise a group walk and make it fun. Find out if your colleges at work could maybe use half of their lunch time to try it. What about a family walking exercise for an hour or two and get the neighbors involved. Walking exercise doesn’t have to be a chore. Take walks in the country side and see nature as it should be; go for walks in the park enjoy these tools you were born with.
Determination and will power are the key words to fulfilling any type of exercise whether it is following walking exercise, weight loss program etc. The quality i.e. calorie counting and quantity of the food also go towards a healthy life style, but that is for another article.
So best foot forward and get going. Happy walking exercise to help aid your health.
Ian G Henderson
My article is only a part of my commitment to spreading the word about how people should live a healthy and enjoyable life style by exercising regularly and eating healthy nutritional meals every day. That is my goal.