Article By Katherine Kent
Walking to lose weight seems like a great idea. Yet it’s hard to believe, but most Americans don’t walk – other than to go to and from our homes, shopping, work and such. No wonder we’ve become a nation of fat people. We work so hard at our lives, that we don’t take care of our bodies. Rather than feeling badly about the situation, let’s examine a couple of truths about walking, and then review some tips that can help you get walking!
Some truths about walking:
- Walking to lose weight – how much does it take to make an impact? The rule of thumb is about 30-60 minutes – most days of the week. It’s okay to skip a day or two, so long as you remain consistent. That will give you about ten thousand steps per day, or a good 4-5 miles per day.
- Do you need to push hard or ‘burn’ for weight loss? No. Sure, you burn more calories when you move faster or push harder. But if you simply by stick with your walking, you don’t need to sweat to death in order to achieve great results.
- Does walking provide other health opportunities? Yes, there are several important benefits, which include the following for starters: 1) a higher level of muscle tone and fitness, 2) lowered blood pressure and 3) less risk for heart disease. Other benefits include 4) lowering your bad cholesterol and 5) raising your good cholesterol. Plus, it will improve your mental health and your outlook!
- The bottom line – How many calories will you burn during one hour of moderate walking? A person who weighs 150 lbs. will burn 180-220 calories in an hour. If you walk for an hour a day you will lose 1.75 lbs. per month.
Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Walk with a friend or spouse, assuming you enjoy the company. Plus, they’ll help you to stay on track.
- Just get going, even if you don’t have much time. Even 10 to 20 minutes will add up over time!
- Make it a habit. Try and walk daily at the same time if that helps.
- Get creative! You’ll only exercise if you like what you’re doing over the long term. Pick a favorite park, walk your dog, or whatever makes you happy.
- Do whatever it takes. A friend of mine is super busy professional, so during his walks he calls prospects.
Walking is my favorite way to stay fit! I’d rather be outside in the open air, than sweating in a crowded fitness center. Plus, walking doesn’t carry the same risk for injury that jogging does – yet it still provides similar results!
The best way to lose weight and keep it off for good is to exercise and to follow a healthy, proven diet plan. In the end you’ll only stick with an exercise program that you like. Walking to lose weight is the perfect way to have fun while getting fit – which means you’ll get leaner, healthier and happier at the same time.
Katherine researches and writes articles about health, weight management and wellness topics. She has a Holistic Life Coach Certificate and has been writing for over 10 years.
Click here if you want to learn more about walking to lose weight.
You’ll also find many other weight management tips on her website called 4 Diet Review.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Katherine_Kent