Article By Karissa Alcox
We could all use a little more fun in our lives. And we could definitely all take some more steps to improve our health.
Sometimes it’s hard! We’re all busy, we’re all distracted.
We all need some fresh new ideas.
Welcome to the first of my three part series – 3 Creative Ways To Improve Your Health.
#1 Introduce more walking into your life!
Exercise is vital to our overall health.
It’s an unfortunate reality that two thirds of Canadians are leading an inactive lifestyle right now!
Walking might seem like such a mundane, commonplace activity – but it’s a really easy way to fit some exercise into your busy day. And if you think about it, chances are you don’t do a lot of walking! Many jobs these days require a long commute, and a lot of sitting still in front of a computer. We all need to move a little more.
Walking has a lot of additional benefits – besides the physical activity. Getting outside can work wonders on a bad mood. Our brains respond well to natural lighting – the amount of light we simply cannot get in an office. High levels of light stimulate our brain. Just as the sun pouring in through your window helps you muster the motivation to get out of bed and start the day, sunshine in the middle of the day energizes your brain as well.
How can you add walking to your life? You just need to be a little creative.
- Do a week-long escalator/elevator ban. Take the stairs everywhere you go!
- Better yet, run up that last flight. Getting your heart pumping every once and a while can have some real benefits on your health.
- Driving somewhere that’s 5 minutes away? Save the gas, and save your health. Walk.
- Walking can be a great social activity! Skip the movie, go for a walk or a hike with your friend. Looking to meet some new people? Join a walking club – or start your own!
- Walk to work (or school, or the mall, or the library…) every once and a while.
- Do you already walk to work? What if you didn’t take that short cut on your way home?
- Park your car at the furthest spot at the parking lot. Not only will you have to walk further, but you’re less likely to get smashed by neighbouring parking cars.
- Offer to walk your neighbour’s dog. Not only will this give you a great excuse to go for a walk, but you’ll neighbour will be impressed by your random act of kindness.
These are all extremely simple and fun ways to improve your fitness, one step at a time. Let these ideas inspire you to get creative on your own! Find ways to fit walking into your day.
Still not convinced?
Maybe it would help to understand just how vital exercise is to your overall health.
How does exercising work to benefit your body?
- Decreasing levels of stress
- Counteracting the symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Increasing energy levels
- Helping you get to sleep at night – combatting insomnia
- Aiding healthy digestion
- Improving posture
- Improving balance
- Strengthening muscles
- Increasing bone density
- Releasing endorphins which improve confidence and inspire a more positive outlook on life
- Improving endurance, making it take longer before you feel fatigued
- Improving circulation
- Strengthening heart and lungs
- Lowering blood pressure
- Improving mood
- Strengthening the immune system
- Reducing the risk of many diseases and disorders
And, of course:
- Weight loss
And to think…You can get all these benefits from something as simple as a regular walk!
For more creative solutions to health, check out our site on creative health. Or learn more about the benefits of exercise. A healthy life is only a few great ideas away.