Article By Kamalika Chowdhury
I was wondering if I could share something about the gainful advantages of walking, our primary ‘Vehicle’. Most of us, including me, plan to walk – start walking – but never continue. To overcome this there is only one solution, do not arrange for ‘a walk’, just move ahead on your own feet. It returns us more when we make our own body vehicular.
It is a time when people are more concerned about their shape and health; and it is the time when people are becoming more obese every day. Recent research reveals that in the U.S. 35.7% people are obese, which means more than one-third of the United States are suffering from obesity.
Your physician might ask you to do regular yoga or exercises, go join a gym or for a brisk walk in the early morning and in the evening. The question is how many of us ‘follow these instructions? Even if we start following these very healthy regimes, how long we continue with these – for a week, a few months or some years? After a certain amount of time, we convince ourselves with excuses and the most common amongst these is “I am not getting time these days”! Here lies a very simple and serious note: do we really not manage to get the time?
Here is a very simple way for arranging that ‘precious one hour’ of our life. Walk! Walk whenever you can. Walk when you are happy, walk when you are in a predicament, walk when you are planning, walk when you are having a coffee break in the office (if possible). You can even walk when travelling. It does not only earn you a good health, it SAVES you money. Thus walking is beneficial in many ways.
Walking saves you from doing vigorous exercises. For exercising you need to arrange for some time separately. If you are doing it at home, you might have been cautioned and advised not to do exhaustive physical exercises without the supervision of an expert. If you do it might harm your health (it might even harm if the expert is monitoring you). It also involves a question of investment.
When you walk you carry your body weight and this is the reason walking is known as weight-bearing exercise. Walking is not only beneficial if you are over-weight or want to keep yourself in shape. Walking is rewarding in many ways and profitable even you are not fat.
– It ensures fitness of your heart and lungs
– Helps maintain your cholesterol and blood pressure level
– Increases muscle strength
– Burns calories
– You gain Vitamin D which ensures stronger bone and saves you from osteoporosis
– Protects from cancers
These are only some of the many benefits related to your health. We cannot forget a fact that walking is not only associated with your health only. How can we forget considering these?
– It is probably one of the greatest habits you may form.
– It strengthens your thinking capability and blesses you with ample time to think. Yes, when you are just walking why not plan something about your work, or anything that requires your brain to be involved!
– It helps you to get rid of addictions. Make it your habit whenever your addictions call you, you will earn something, not lose.
– It helps you win back your emotional stability.
– It can be a time pass and will give you a better health when you are just loitering about.
Will any of the vigorous fitness therapies give all these free? Give it a thought! It is all about giving your health 1 hour or 30 minutes from 24 hours. Even if you skip for one day it won’t be harmful. I believe we all should embrace this habit (if it has not been restricted by a physician due to some health issues). We all will be fit and confidant, yes “WITHOUT AN EXPENSE”!